Braces in Bloomington, IL
For most orthodontic patients, wearing fixed appliances (or, more commonly, braces) is part of their treatment. At Sugar Creek Orthodontics, we have helped countless children and adults achieve their best smiles for 20+ years. If you are interested in braces in Bloomington, turn to our office. We can develop a treatment plan tailored to your needs. Start with us by scheduling a free consultation.
How Do Braces Work?
In short, braces work by applying gentle but constant pressure on teeth, gradually moving them into the proper position.
Here are further details about treatment with braces:
- The consultation: This is where treatment begins. We examine teeth using X-rays and dental impressions, then develop a personalized treatment plan.
- Placing the braces: Our orthodontist attaches the components of the braces, ensuring they are secure and placed correctly.
- Pressure and movement: The wires apply the pressure that gradually moves teeth. Our orthodontist adjusts the wires strategically to ensure great results.
- The timeline: Every treatment period is different and depends on the issues the braces are meant to fix. Treatment can last from one year to three. In certain cases, it may be shorter or longer than that range.
- Retainers: Most treatments with braces are not complete without a retainer. This is because teeth can shift toward their original position. Retainers ensure teeth stay aligned.
When to Get Braces
There is no exact time when someone should get braces. Every smile is unique, so necessary orthodontic treatment will vary. The American Association of Orthodontics (AAO) recommends that children see an orthodontist for an examination by age seven. This does not necessarily mean children must have braces at or around that age. Instead, an orthodontist can help parents know what treatment could benefit their child and when they need it.
It is not uncommon for adults to get braces. In fact, the AAO estimates that adults make up 25% of orthodontic patients. Braces can correct misaligned teeth and other issues in adults, just as they can with children. It is never too late to get a beautiful smile.
Call (217) 769-8089 or connect with us online. We proudly serve Bloomington, Lincoln, Normal, and the surrounding areas.
Types of Braces
Many are familiar with metal braces. While these are still popular, there are other options out there.
We explore some of the available types of braces below:
Typically made of high-grade stainless steel, traditional metal braces are very common. They consist of wires that wrap around the molars and smaller metal brackets cemented to the front surfaces of the other teeth. A thin metal wire (the archwire) runs through the brackets and gently guides teeth into alignment. Flexible elastics, metal ties, or clasps can fix the archwire to the brackets.
Ceramic braces work similarly to traditional metal braces, but their brackets are made of translucent ceramic material that blends with the natural color of teeth. This system has become a favorite for adults, especially because it is less noticeable.
Several types of ceramic braces are available, and the technology is constantly evolving. Their aesthetic appeal is undeniable.
However, it is important for us to note some of the tradeoffs:
- Ceramic brackets can be less durable than their metal counterparts.
- The elastic bands that attach the brackets to the archwire can stain, making them noticeable. Although, we often change these once a month.
- Ceramic braces cost more than metal. For many people, the benefit of inconspicuous treatment far outweighs the cost.
Schedule a Free Consultation Today
Starting orthodontic treatment at our office is easy. Simply give us a call or reach out online, and a friendly team member will set up a free consultation. During this initial meeting, we will assess your child’s needs or your own and then make our expert recommendation for treatment. We will also answer your questions and address your concerns. For braces in Bloomington, go with our experienced, professional, and caring team at Sugar Creek Orthodontics. We are your partner for a healthy and beautiful smile.
Call (217) 769-8089 or submit our online contact form.
“Worth the 40 minute drive” Rachel R.
“My daughter always felt comfortable at all of her visits and her treatment ended up being even better than we all anticipated” Amy M.
“My son has been a patient of Dr Betsy for several years. He had some massive issues with severe underbite and other things. Dr Betsy's work not only corrected his orthodontic issues but gave him confidence.” Jessica L.
Schedule a free consultation to find out how we can help you. During this initial visit, you can speak with our professional team about your child’s orthodontic needs or your own.