Impacted Canine Treatment in Bloomington, IL
What Is an Impacted Canine?
An impacted canine (the pointier teeth in line with the eyes) is a tooth that has not erupted because it is stuck or blocked. It is a common issue we treat at Sugar Creek Orthodontics. Addressing impacted canines is essential for preventing teeth misalignment, overcrowding, and bite problems.
If you have an issue with an impacted canine, turn to us. We offer free consultations, during which we can assess the problem tooth and recommend the best option for addressing it.
How to Tell If You Have an Impacted Tooth
Canines and other teeth, such as molars and incisors, can all be impacted. What are the signs of this issue?
- A tooth not emerging when expected
- Noticeable teeth misalignment or gaps
- Pain or discomfort around the jaw or gums
- Swelling or redness in the area where a tooth may be impacted
- Difficult brushing or flossing around a specific tooth
Consult our orthodontist for any of the above. For 20+ years, she has provided impacted canine treatment in Bloomington. She and our supporting staff can examine the problem area and develop a tailored care plan.
Treating Impacted Canines
There are two primary approaches to helping impacted canines erupt and fit into their proper position.
- Space Creation: Our orthodontist can create space in the mouth and guide the eruption of the impacted canine. This is possible using braces or orthodontic appliances like palatal expanders.
- Surgical Exposure: At times, impacted canines are fully or partially covered by gum tissue or bone. An oral surgeon can remove the problematic tissue, allowing for the tooth to eventually erupt into its proper place. At Sugar Creek Orthodontics, we are well-connected with trustworthy, skilled surgeons who can perform these procedures.
The right treatment for an impacted canine will vary from one person to the next. To find out how to best address an impacted tooth, schedule a free consultation.
Schedule a Free Consultation
Our friendly and professional team at Sugar Creek Orthodontics is prepared to address any issues you or your child may have with an impacted canine or any other tooth. Learn about the necessary care steps and what they entail in a free consultation. All it takes to schedule yours is an online message or a phone call.
To get started with us, call (217) 769-8089 or connect online. We serve Bloomington, Lincoln, Normal, and the surrounding areas.
The Risks of Impacted Teeth
If left untreated, impacted canines can cause various orthodontic issues in addition to general dental and health problems.
Orthodontic risks of an impacted canine include:
- The misalignment of surrounding teeth
- Overbite, underbite, and crossbite
- Increased treatment complexity
Dental and general oral health risks of an impacted canine include:
- Susceptibility to cavities and tooth decay
- The accumulation of bacteria that can cause gum infections
- Cyst formation, which can damage nearby teeth
- Sinus pressure, congestion, and headaches
- Difficulty speaking or chewing properly
- Pain and discomfort
For impacted canine treatment in Bloomington, call (217) 769-8089.
“Worth the 40 minute drive” Rachel R.
“My daughter always felt comfortable at all of her visits and her treatment ended up being even better than we all anticipated” Amy M.
“My son has been a patient of Dr Betsy for several years. He had some massive issues with severe underbite and other things. Dr Betsy's work not only corrected his orthodontic issues but gave him confidence.” Jessica L.
Schedule a free consultation to find out how we can help you. During this initial visit, you can speak with our professional team about your child’s orthodontic needs or your own.