When to See an Orthodontist
If you have been thinking about orthodontic treatment for yourself or your child, you are likely to wonder: When is the right time to see an orthodontist? It varies for children and adults.
Some general signs to schedule a visit include:
- Misaligned or crooked teeth
- Issues with chewing or biting
- Tooth or jaw pain and discomfort
- Crowded or overlapping teeth
We understand that even with these guidelines, the signs to see an orthodontist are not always clear-cut. Below, we go into further detail about when children and adults can benefit from orthodontic care.
Orthodontics for Children
Children should have an orthodontic examination by age 7, according to the American Association of Orthodontics.
There are two very good reasons for this:
- Children often have a mix of baby and permanent teeth. An orthodontist can determine whether the child’s mouth has adequate room to accommodate all their necessary permanent teeth. They can also identify abnormalities in a child’s dental development.
- An early examination can catch problematic conditions before they become more difficult to address. Many orthodontic treatments work in tandem with a child’s natural growth processes. For example, a palatal expander can effectively treat a child’s crossbite (a condition where the upper teeth close inside the lower ones) because their jaw is still growing rapidly. Leaving this condition unchecked could necessitate oral surgery later on.
Orthodontic treatment can address other common childhood problems. These include early or late loss of baby teeth, persistent thumb sucking, tongue thrusting, and mouth breathing.
Is your child exhibiting any of these things? Contact our office today. We offer free consultations, making it easy to learn about the kinds of orthodontic care that could benefit your child. We can also enroll them in our Grow Up Smiling program.
To schedule yours, call (217) 769-8089 or reach out to us online.
Orthodontics for Adults
Do you cover your mouth with your hand when you smile? Are you self-conscious around strangers because your teeth do not look as good as you would like? If so, consider seeing an orthodontist.
Many people think orthodontics is just for kids, but this is not the case. According to the Association of American Orthodontics, one in four orthodontic patients are adults. Why do so many adults seek treatment?
Orthodontic treatment can be successful at any age; it is never too late to address issues with your teeth or jaw. Properly aligned teeth are easier to clean and maintain and less subject to abnormal wear. Also, a better bite can keep you from having trouble eating or speaking. Are you concerned about how braces might affect your image? The growing availability of clear aligners and translucent ceramic braces makes it easier to get orthodontic treatments discretely.
Consult with Sugar Creek Orthodontics Today
“Worth the 40 minute drive” Rachel R.
“My daughter always felt comfortable at all of her visits and her treatment ended up being even better than we all anticipated” Amy M.
“My son has been a patient of Dr Betsy for several years. He had some massive issues with severe underbite and other things. Dr Betsy's work not only corrected his orthodontic issues but gave him confidence.” Jessica L.
Schedule a free consultation to find out how we can help you. During this initial visit, you can speak with our professional team about your child’s orthodontic needs or your own.