Phase I Orthodontics in Bloomington, IL
Helping Children Achieve Their Best Smiles in Bloomington, Lincoln, Normal, and the Areas Nearby
Have you considered setting up a visit with an orthodontist for your child? If you have not, our professional team at Sugar Creek Orthodontics recommends that you do. It is highly advantageous to address orthodontic issues at an early age. In fact, an entire area of practice is dedicated to doing just that. Phase I orthodontics is a proactive approach to correcting dental and jaw abnormalities in children. This page explores what phase I orthodontics entails, when children may need it, and the numerous benefits it offers. Check out the information below and reach out to our office with your questions.
What is Phase I Orthodontics?
Phase I orthodontics involves treating children who have a mix of permanent and baby teeth. Typically, this is between ages seven and ten. By intervening in this period, phase I orthodontics aims to address dental problems before they get bigger and facilitate proper development.
What Treatments Are Part of Phase I Orthodontics?
During Phase I orthodontics, children may undergo various treatments, including:
- Space maintenance: If a child has lost a baby tooth prematurely, a maintainer can preserve the space until the permanent tooth is ready to erupt. This can prevent neighboring teeth from shifting into the gap, causing crowding or alignment problems.
- Expansion appliances: Jaw expansion appliances, such as palatal expanders, widen the upper jaw when it is too narrow. Doing so creates adequate space for permanent teeth to erupt. It can also correct crossbites, remedy breathing issues, and promote proper facial development.
- Functional appliances: The Herbst appliance, Twin Block, and others can correct bite issues. Specifically, they are effective at treating underbites and crossbites. These appliances support proper jaw growth, improve the relationship between the upper and lower jaws, and enhance overall facial aesthetics.
- Orthodontic braces: We may utilize braces as part of phase I orthodontic treatment. Whether we do so will depend on a child’s dental health and readiness for braces.
When Do Children Need Phase I Orthodontics?
We recommend children receive an orthodontic examination between the ages of seven and ten. However, this does not mean every child will need phase I orthodontic treatment. We look for several signs during an examination to determine whether early intervention could help.
Severe bite problems (malocclusions) are one of the most obvious signs we see. Phase I orthodontic treatments can begin to remedy crossbites, underbites, and open bites. Crowding and teeth spacing issues are other prominent signs. If a child has these issues, prompt treatment can support the proper alignment and eruption of permanent teeth.
Additional signs include thumb-sucking and breathing problems. Children that habitually suck their thumb might develop jaw abnormalities and misalign their teeth. Certain phase I treatments can put an end to these harmful habits. Also, they can help children who struggle with snoring or sleep apnea by expanding the upper jaw and improving airway function.
Call (217) 769-8089 or contact us online for phase I orthodontics in Bloomington.
The Benefits of Phase I Orthodontics
Your child could benefit greatly from phase I orthodontic treatment.
Early intervention can:
- Support proper jaw growth
- Address orthodontic issues that simplify future treatment
- Reduce the need for more invasive procedures, such as tooth extraction or jaw surgery
- Correct bite abnormalities that make chewing and eating easier
- Lower the risk of tooth wear or damage
- Boost your child’s confidence in their smile
At Sugar Creek Orthodontics, our orthodontists have provided personalized care for 20+ years. You can trust us to set your child’s smile up for success. Should you have any questions about our phase I orthodontic treatments in Bloomington, reach out to schedule a free consultation.
Connect with us online or call (217) 769-8089.
“Worth the 40 minute drive” Rachel R.
“My daughter always felt comfortable at all of her visits and her treatment ended up being even better than we all anticipated” Amy M.
“My son has been a patient of Dr Betsy for several years. He had some massive issues with severe underbite and other things. Dr Betsy's work not only corrected his orthodontic issues but gave him confidence.” Jessica L.
Schedule a free consultation to find out how we can help you. During this initial visit, you can speak with our professional team about your child’s orthodontic needs or your own.