Bloomington Orthognathic Surgery
At Sugar Creek Orthodontics, we have provided high-quality orthodontic care for 20+ years. As part of our efforts, our experienced team works closely with patients to prepare them for orthognathic surgery in Bloomington and ensure they receive appropriate care afterward. On this page, we offer information about what this procedure entails, its benefits, and our role in it. Read on, and do not hesitate to reach out to our office with your questions or concerns.
What Is Orthognathic Surgery?
Orthognathic surgery is often called corrective jaw surgery. During the procedure, the surgeon carefully repositions the upper and lower jaws to correct misalignment and improve facial balance.
Orthognathic surgery can address the following conditions:
- Open bite
- Jaw asymmetry
Does Our Office Perform This Procedure?
No. Instead, we refer patients to experienced surgeons whom we trust. When we believe orthognathic surgery is beneficial, we will inform patients and take measures to prepare them. Afterward, we will continue to provide necessary orthodontic care.
Our Role in Orthognathic Surgery
By collaborating with oral surgeons and providing pre- and post-surgical care, we help patients achieve optimal functional and aesthetic outcomes.
Our team’s role in orthognathic surgery may involve:
- Evaluation and treatment planning: Our orthodontist can examine patient teeth, jaw alignment, and facial structure to determine whether orthognathic surgery would be beneficial. If so, she can refer patients to an experienced surgeon and begin developing a comprehensive treatment plan.
- Pre-surgical orthodontics: Our orthodontist may align a patient’s teeth before surgery using braces and communicate with the oral surgeon to coordinate the procedure’s timing. Additionally, our office can custom-make a surgical splint to assist in the surgery’s success.
- Post-surgical orthodontics: After the surgery, our orthodontist can monitor a patient’s progress and adjust treatment accordingly.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Sugar Creek Orthodontics
If you are considering orthognathic surgery in Bloomington but want to learn more about what to expect, please contact our office to schedule a free consultation. Our friendly team members are always happy to provide people with the information they need. If this procedure could benefit your child or yourself, there is no doubt you can count on our orthodontist and supporting staff to help you prepare and successfully recover.
Call (217) 769-8089 or connect with us online. Our office proudly serves patients in Bloomington, Lincoln, Normal, and the nearby cities.
The Benefits of Orthognathic Surgery
We understand that corrective jaw surgery does not sound appealing. However, there is much to gain from this procedure.
The benefits of orthognathic surgery include the following and more:
- Improved confidence: Aligning the upper and lower jaws can enhance facial balance and symmetry and give people greater confidence in their smile and appearance.
- Enhanced bite function: Correcting jaw misalignment can make chewing, speaking, and maintaining proper oral hygiene easier.
- Reduced TMJ disorders: Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders often result from jaw misalignment. Orthognathic surgery can alleviate TMJ-related symptoms such as jaw pain, headaches, and clicking sounds.
- Long-term stability: Orthognathic surgery generally provides permanent results that eliminate the need for ongoing jaw care or further corrective procedures.
How Long Does It Take to Recover from Orthognathic Surgery?
“Worth the 40 minute drive” Rachel R.
“My daughter always felt comfortable at all of her visits and her treatment ended up being even better than we all anticipated” Amy M.
“My son has been a patient of Dr Betsy for several years. He had some massive issues with severe underbite and other things. Dr Betsy's work not only corrected his orthodontic issues but gave him confidence.” Jessica L.
Schedule a free consultation to find out how we can help you. During this initial visit, you can speak with our professional team about your child’s orthodontic needs or your own.